Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Seattle Police To Dress As Rival Fans This Season

Default Seattle Police To Dress As Rival Fans This Season

Quote Originally Posted by TC View Post
    It's gonna be awkward when the Skins come to town...
    Is yelling the "Redskins Suck!" A racial slur that I could potentially get into trouble for...?

2009 NFL Pro Pick'em Champion! Magnificentbutcher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HavokHawk View Post
    against it. While I know its for the greater good. I just hate shady cop crap. Why not have them stand all around in uniform instead? Now I have to wonder if the 9er fan I'm talking to is lying his ass off making me look stupid as I fall for his act. The old here's a cookie jar stick your hand in so we can catch you drives me crazy. In this setting cops are kind of like dogs to me as well, if they get a scent they dont like they can inspire further transgressions rooting it out. They have a covert purpose there to find bad guys. No one likes to feel useless so they'll find them.
    I agree. Really don't see why the should be going undercover. Instead of nabbing drunks acting a fool, why not just have uniformed cops being more visible so that dumbasses might think twice before having a few too many and causing trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Tfer View Post
    Is yelling the "Redskins Suck!" A racial slur that I could potentially get into trouble for...?
    In your country, I think it would be a "hate crime", wouldn't it?

On the larger matter, I'm pragmatic. I'm OK with any reasonable measure that results in the least violence. No one should have to put up with an obnoxious person screaming profanity at your kids and threatening to do physical harm to you and your family, regardless of what jersey you choose to wear. With that said, I really don't see how undercover cops are going to accomplish that goal better than highly visible cops would. Think about driving - are you more likely to slow down if you see a WSP car on the side of the highway with his radar gun out, or if he's in an unmarked car? The visible cop, even if he doesn't write a single ticket all day, will do more to slow traffic than an undercover car that writes a dozen tickets. Similarly, cops stationed around the stadium in clear view of most of the 67,000 fans will do more to curb violence than having them blend in as opposition fans. Seems to me the only reason to pretend to be opposing fans is to make more arrests, not to provide better fan control.

Cool story bro!

I don't think it has to do with making more arrests - I think it's simply a resource play

I completely agree about visibility being the best deterent ..... on occasion along I-10 out there they'll post a highway patrol car every couple of miles ..... the freeway doesn't fly that's for sure

However, it's not something they could do every day or every week - so they pick and choose the times where they think they need to do it and hope the threat of having a hidden car, unmarked, etc will keep you in line on the rest of the days

How many police would you need to have a good visible presence inside the stadium - easily 150 to 300 ...... so instead they put 20 undercover, broadcast it as loudly as they can, make a few visible arrests to let people know they are indeed there and hope that does something to curb it

Seems to me the only reason to pretend to be opposing fans is to make more arrests, not to provide better fan control.
    THIS^^^

I think that depends on where you buy your fire water and gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwatermark View Post

..... With that said, I really don't see how undercover cops are going to accomplish that goal better than highly visible cops would......
    Well I would think it's about the ability to patrol the whole stadium and the surrounding area. If they are undercover you never know where they could be. You need to be aware, even when you don't see them.

I can see it being more effective in that way.
    Last edited by Pigpen17; 08-30-2013 at 09:09 AM.

3 members agreed with this post.

In order to dress like opposing fans the cops would have to dress like.... pigs....

Quote Originally Posted by Pigpen17 View Post
    Well I would think it's about the ability to patrol the whole stadium and the surrounding area. If they are undercover you never know where they could be. You need to be aware, even when you don't see them.

I can see it being more effective in that way.
    Drunk belligerent people, the kind that are being targeted, aren't likely to worry about that too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwatermark View Post
    Drunk belligerent people, the kind that are being targeted, aren't likely to worry about that too much.
    Too True. Till they get busted.
    For sure this won't change anything overnight, and the possibility of having some douchebag officer picking on someone or baiting them is bound to happen and probably be the most likely outcome and the end of this actually. But it also could make a difference in the long run.

It's not a perfect world, obviously, so either approach as well as doing nothing has it's drawbacks.