Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like the Jets really did want Irvin

Gone Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Tfer View Post
    Maybe we could make him wear a bell, or something...?
    New nickname Pavlov.

Elite Member

Like Me On Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Tfer View Post
    Maybe we could make him wear a bell, or something...?
    Yea I don't understand his point on the QB not being able to see him lol. Is there a rule about that I don't know about? Most of the time if the QB doesn't see the rusher it is a sack and fumble.

If that's all you guys are looking for are stats, then great... you got your guy. Personally, I'd like to see hurried throws turn into picks, myself. I'd like to see the TE kept in to block, making it easier on our LB and safeties. IOW, I'd like to see Bruce become more than just a guy who can run around an LT, with the occasional club or cut, to get inside. You guys talk about bull-rushing the tackle. I won't count on that from game to game in the NFL. Bruce is going to have to find other ways to getting to the QB consistantly, than just going around the tackle the long way. Most of the time, the QB will have the ball out by then.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by FullMetalSeahawk View Post
    I watched youtube vids where they show every play Bruce is in. ALMOST every play he breaks thru, he is coming up from behind. I saw a FEW where the QB scrambled, or threw it early. But generally, the QB had no clue Bruce was coming, unless he cut in early, and juked the tackle. If he has to go all the way around the tackle, he's not seen, as he is usually on the QB's blind side. Now, I could see them using Bruce as a pass rushing LB outside Red. THAT would disrupt the QB in more ways than just sacks. At least until he gets the feeling for getting in on the tackle more than his film showed.
    Did you see he was being used in a 3 man front? And that he was being doubled teamed often? He didn't have other players absorbing double teams like Mebane, Red, and Jones will do when they play? It was a very different defensive system at WVU. Bruce was very disruptive and had to be accounted for by the other team. He was the main focus of the offensive line and the guy they really tried to stop.

That may be the case in Seattle as well. But that won't be as effective a tactic because of Mebane and Bryant. That's the problem with watching the WVU tape. He was the best player on that defense and opposing team focused on stopping him. They will have a load dealing with all of our guys on defense. Our coverage guys are much better than WVU's coverage guys, which will lead to coverage sacks for a high motor player like Irvin. Did you ever see the guy take plays off? I saw a few where they blocked him out of the play, never saw him stop moving or go soft at the blockers.

Imagine him more in our scheme with our players than focusing solely on what he's doing with WVU's players.

Every passing play he had a non-stop motor. But once the ball was handed off, it was like he looked around to make sure someone was on the runner, then he stopped or jogged. He rarely got into the fray. That's what I'm hoping Pete will help him on.

Quote Originally Posted by NFLHITMAN View Post
    Yea I don't understand his point on the QB not being able to see him lol. Is there a rule about that I don't know about? Most of the time if the QB doesn't see the rusher it is a sack and fumble.
    That was the point I was going to make. When you arrive a half second beore the the QB or running back is ready you get fumbles. When you blow by the tackle and blindside a QB or reach from behind you get fumbles. So you dismiss 15 sacks but what about the turnovers he can cause. Honestly he had me at 15 sacks but I may be easy to please.
    Last edited by Malik Hawk; 05-01-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malik Hawk View Post
    That was the point I was going to make. When you arrive a half second beore the the QB or running back is ready you get fumbles. When you blow by the tackle and blindside a QB or reach from behind you get fumbles. So you dismiss 15 sacks but what about the turnovers he can cause. Honestly he had me at 15 sacks but I may be easy to please.
    I am just disappointed that Heidi and/or Amber didn;t make this comment

Silenced

What's it matter if he wasn't a full time starter in college...?

It matters because Pete says Irvin is going to get 700 snaps this season, which means he's going to be used a lot more than in just obvious passing situations. It says alot about Irvin's run stopping ability if his college team took him out in obvious running situations or didn't start him against predominantly running teams.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by RiverDog View Post
    What's it matter if he wasn't a full time starter in college...?

It matters because Pete says Irvin is going to get 700 snaps this season, which means he's going to be used a lot more than in just obvious passing situations. It says alot about Irvin's run stopping ability if his college team took him out in obvious running situations or didn't start him against predominantly running teams.
    It says even more about a college coaching staff if they're putting in a guy Irvin's size in a 3 man front. Would you have a player Irvin's size play in a 3 man front? As in as a 3-4 DE? I bet even a guy like yourself that only played High School Football wouldn't do something that dumb.

If we were drafting Bruce Irvin to play a 3-4 DE rather than the Leo position, you might have a point. Since we're not, you're not really making sense.

Silenced

I bet even a guy like yourself that only played High School Football wouldn't do something that dumb.

Who said I only played high school football?